If you like a lemon and sage flavor this brine is for you! The savory flavor of sage with the hint of lemon is a go to recipe for our family. We like to smoke our turkey but it is just as savory roasted or baked! I like to save some sage and stuff it under the skin with the butter for an extra herb flavor!
- lemon zest from 2 lemons (see below)
- 3 cups of fresh sage minced
- 1/2 cup of black pepper
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups of lemon juice
- 3 cups of kosher salt
- 3 gallons of water
- 4 pats of butter
- Mix the sage, lemon zest, pepper, and the garlic with the juice of the 2 lemons.
- Take your hand and peel the skin from the breasts but leave the skin intact.
- Take half the stirred ingredients and put under the skin on top the breasts and in the cavity of the turkey.
- Mix the other half of the sage, lemon zest, pepper, garlic, lemon juice, and the salt and mix it with one gallon of the water to make the brine.
- Put the turkey in a container large enough to have it completely submerged and pour the gallon of brine mixture over and inside the turkey.
- Continue to pour the water until the turkey is completely submerged.
- Let the turkey soak in the brine for approximately 24 hours, shaking the container every so often.
- Remove turkey from the brine and rinse the turkey thoroughly. remove the herbs from under the skin on the breasts and put in the pats of butter - 2 on each side of the breast; front and back under the skin.
- The turkey is now ready to cook whichever way you prefer!